Saturday, November 6, 2010

Something..

So often these days people are very thoughtless. They don't even consider the impact their words could have on other people before they speak. This happens a lot online especially because people have zero accountability online! However, my concern is more for the face to face interactions that people take for granted every day.

Adults need to be extra careful especially when they speak to small children they don't know very well. For instance, a young man who has hearing problems and has had them his whole life will probably not take snide comments from someone he looks up to very well. Has it really become so okay in today's society to say the phrase "Are you deaf?!" that we don't even consider the hearing capability of a child before saying it?

I know I'm guilty myself of saying mean things when I'm angry.

"ARGH! I just want to STRANGLE you sometimes!"
"What part of NO is too complicated for you?!"

Just to name a couple. I'm sure there are more I say that I would be ashamed to admit to after I've calmed down, and I'm not a mean person by nature! I would like to think I was never so out of my facilities that I would utter such a hateful phrase as "Are you deaf?!" in anger to a child who really had hearing issues.

I think it is about time everyone became more aware and started watching their language when interacting with other people. For sure I will be watching my own from now on, because even though I'm not a mean person I realize that my words are just as dangerous of a weapon as a knife when wielded the wrong way against someone you love.

0 comments: