Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Spider and the Butterfly

This poem has been published http://www.ritro.com/sections/poetry-prose/story.bv?storyid=2793 here, in September of 2004. I was thrilled, as I was published somewhere--and yet hesitant to celebrate it much, since it's just a website, and as I've seen they don't have very strict rules on what they actually publish--the best of the bunch I hope. Anyways, it's my favorite self-written poem, and some of the lines stick in my head even now.

The Spider and the Butterfly

The shadows cast a spell
Of wanton disbelief
Design of higher power
Trapped within the grief.

Like a spinning spider
Dancing on spun glass
Winds borne of Avalon
Gently come to pass.
Winding down the day
Like a sunset's grace,
Dreaming of eternity
Within this hollow place.

A yearning held inside
For that simple perfection,
The hatred that is found
Inside a slight inflection.
All is lost for just one kiss,
A mild and lusty sin,
Like butterflies in flight,
Their beauty lies within.

This a quaint observation,
From a mortal mind
All this beauty in a field
In springtime to find,
The spider and the butterfly,
An oddly couple in short,
One never sees a stolen kiss,
Or thinks the butterfly the sort.
To engage in affairs
With the spider's disception,
Leading to her gentle fall,
And immediate suspension.

We're--and by we're I mean I'm--going to look at some places for us to move to. One is out in the country and it's on 2 acres. If it's anything livable, we'll be moving there. I'll have to get decorating tips from Sandra, I've been so much into ecclectic and techno-savvy I haven't any idea how to decorate a country home.

It's cold, freezing, and raining. So I need to hurry and get this out of the way, so I can come home and be in the warmth. It's supposed to snow tomorrow, and we're having a "family" dinner, with my dad, mom, sisters, brother and all their respective signifigant others. It's to celebrate Carol's (my older sister, who's 29 now!) and my birthday. Her's is the 11th, mine the 19th, and we're going to celebrate it all at once--weather permitting. I don't usually enjoy these large dinners, because the kids get all bored and fidgety, and they never enjoy themselves at all because it's an adult thing--shrug.

I wish I had a camera, so I could get pictures of the new (hopefully!) place and post them, but alas our camera was broken. :(

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Good Luck Sam, hope you can find a new place for you guys :)

May I suggest Mountain Home LMAO or maybe even Glendale Arizona or something like that? I thought you wanted out of Oklahoma? LOL

Happy Birthday for the 19th :)

Check out my blog post today...we spent yesterday at the Renaissance Fair...we thought of you guys :)

Love ya,
Sandra

Anonymous said...

benefiting bratislava respite since fibronectin sentrumno unwholesome gametes imclone timeframes competitors
lolikneri havaqatsu